Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Tuesdays With Dorie - Devil's Food White-Out Cake



I dedicate this post to my best friend because this was her birthday cake (CHEESE!) and because we almost pee-ed our pants assembling this. You see, I had no problem executing the recipe. Some bakers said their cake didn't rise that much. Mine did. Others had trouble with the frosting and had to start over. Perfect the first time (although it did take 20-30 minutes for the syrup to reach 242F). But when it comes to decorating, well, I just suck.



What happened was I baked the cakes a few hours before going over the birthday girl's house. Instead of removing them from the pans to cool, I just let them cool in the pans. Wrong. The chocolate chips, which sank to the bottom, cooled and stuck to the plate, so each layer had a nice hole. So we went for two layers instead of three.




I didn't eat much of the cake because I was stuffed from dinner and ice cream. From the few bites I did have, the cake was fudgey and yummy. I wasn't crazy about the frosting, which I think someone said was Italian meringue. I just felt it had too much vanilla in it. When I asked around, everyone enjoyed the frosting, so maybe it was just me.

Thanks to Stephanie of Confessions of a City Eater for picking this week's recipe. You can find the recipe on page 247 of Baking: From My Home To Yours or on Stephanie's blog.



No comments:

Post a Comment