Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Chocolate Covered Cherries? Not Exactly...

I love chocolate covered cherries. I could probably eat an entire box myself, so whenever I stumbled upon this recipe at school one day, I knew I had to make them for Christmas. I tweaked the recipe a bit because there wasn't enough liquid holding the dough together. I also cut it down to one dozen because we are dealing with enough cookies already. Some of the recipe reviewers suggested using the chocolate cherry kisses Hershey makes to bring the whole recipe together, but since we already had regular kisses in the house, that's what I used. Make sure you put enough chopped cherry in the dough because the bites without the cherries lack some of the cherry flavor.

Cherry Chocolate Blossoms




1/4 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 Tbsp maraschino cherry juice
1/4 tsp almond extract
2-3 drops red food coloring
2/3 cup flour
1/8 tsp salt
2 Tbsp maraschino cherries, chopped
12 chocolate kisses, unwrapped

1. Preheat oven to 350F. Combine powdered sugar, butter, juice, almond extract, and food coloring. Add flour and salt. Mix well. Stir in chopped cherries.

2. Roll dough into balls and place on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 10-12 minutes or until edges are slightly browned. Immediately top each cookie with a kiss, pressing down firmly to flatten out cookies. Remove to cooling rack.

Makes 12 cookies.

Source: Recipe Zaar

No comments:

Post a Comment