Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Tuesdays With Dorie - Black and White Banana Loaf



I don't know how to explain it. You flip through Dorie's book and drool over the recipes and photographs. Everything sounds so yummy, and when you have an ingredient you need to use, usually you can find something in the index. So how could this baking bible disappoint any baker? Perhaps it was my tastebuds or perhaps fresh nutmeg really does make a difference, but I didn't enjoy the Black and White Banana Loaf chosen for this week. The nutmeg is very distinct. If you hate nutmeg, you will not like this bread. But I don't hate nutmeg. Maybe because I was expecting more chocolate flavor (I used semi-sweet) or even the rum. I barely tasted the Bacardi Puerto Rico rum I used. It smelled (and tasted) good when I made the banana mixture, but since alcohol evaporates after baking, I couldn't tell anymore. The rum was a golden rum, not a dark rum. Maybe I'm the one who messed up and the recipe is perfectly fine. After all, my bread was flatter than usual banana bread. And why did Dorie list this as a cake and not bread? Well, if I didn't do the baking right, at least my marbling looks like marbling! I'm quite proud of my photograph too.


Black and White Banana Loaf




Ashlee from A Year in the Kitchen has chosen this week's recipe. She also had trouble with her loaf, also barely tasting the rum. My batter wasn't runny, though. She tweaked the recipe, so please visit her lovely blog for suggestions and the recipe. If you own the book, the recipe can be found on page 232.

No comments:

Post a Comment